The Forrest Jones Memorial Scholarship was established in 1999 to honor Forrest Jones, a dedicated aviation maintenance professional and role model who combined innovative thinking and a common-sense approach to everyday problems. Forrest made a significant contribution to aviation in the State of Alaska, actively supporting aircraft operations for over forty years. His maintenance philosophy of “fixing it right, by the book” was combined with a high degree of professionalism and integrity.
The Forrest Jones Memorial Scholarship seeks to perpetuate this attitude and commitment to aviation in Alaska. The scholarship is awarded in early spring at the annual Alaska Air Carriers Association Convention. The amount to be awarded each year will be determined annually by the AACA Scholarship Committee.
The following factors are considered
- High school grades, college/university grades, or GED scores
- SAT/ACT scores
- Demonstrated leadership, citizenship, and community service accomplishments
- Purpose, ambition, integrity, and personal initiative
- Letters of recommendation
- Applicant’s personal essay
Applicant must be enrolled in or applying to one of the following (in an aviation field), or a high school senior applying to:
- Accredited college or university
- Licensed flight school
- Certified A&P program
- 2.0 or higher
- Non graded programs-Pass only
- Certified transcripts
Full load-12 credits per semester must be carried
- Student must be in good standing with the educational institution
- Scholarship will not be issued if student is dismissed, terminated, or does not complete flight school
- Scholarship will not be issued for more than five academic years, consecutive or not
Who may apply This scholarship program does not exclude AACA members, board members, or their family members; anyone may apply.
Deadline Must be received or postmarked by the JANUARY 1
No incomplete applications will be accepted.
ALASKA AIR CARRIERS ASSOCIATION phone: 907 277-0071
to get the application form.